Thursday, April 20, 2017

It's Pink

Sometimes you have a song stuck in your head. See if you can guess this one:

“Slam, slam, oh hot d**n. What part of party don't you understand?”

I never listened to the song when I was in high school, which is when it came out, but I find it remarkable how much I like songs that came out between 2005 and 2010 (which is approximately when I was in high school). I know this because I obtained a free subscription to satellite radio and I am discovering a whole bunch of music on this Pop 2K station that most of my peers listened to a lot, but I've never heard of, and I like them. I wonder why I like music that was produced ten years ago, but not music of similar values that is produced today.

I also like music that was produced before I was born.

I find that the songs most likely to get stuck in my head are songs from movies though. Especially theme songs from a series that has over 200 episodes. Unless they're in a different language. I've watched the theme song from Angel Beats! at least a hundred times, but I still can't sing that beautiful melody without humming a great deal of it. Japanese is hard though.

How about, “Be true to your heart! Just be true to your heart! Cause if you're true to your heart, it's gonna lead you straight to me(-e).”
I heard a song yesterday while watching a movie with a four year old. The part that's stuck in my head goes like this: “How ba(a-a-a-a)d can I be? I'm just doing what comes naturally.” It's a pretty annoying song. But I found it notable that this has a remarkably different tone than that song earlier that's from Princess Diaries 2.

Obviously the song from the Lorax does not say, “don't follow your heart” but it has a cautionary note that sometimes doing what comes naturally to you can have dire consequences. If you know the movie, you already know what I mean, but it doesn't matter because I'm going to explain it anyway. The main character, in pursuit of success and profit, chops down the entire forest, which displaces a bunch of animals and makes that part of the country uninhabitable except for a small plastic town that doesn't know what the outside world is like and purchases fresh air in bottles. This is fine.

I've heard survival of the fittest means that whoever is the strongest and smartest wins. This seems to be true of nature. A second grader asked me recently if I thought animals are innocent. I replied that animals are crueler than humans, but not as greedy. Maybe if animals had powers of foresight and logic, they would be just as greedy as humans, but nature usually works itself out so that no one can be on top for too long. In an experiment where 12 wolves were placed on a secluded island to mimic the way nature intended, within a few short years, the island was devastated by excessive inbreeding and reproduction and required human intervention to keep the starving overpopulation of wolves alive.

Perhaps these wolves were less fit than the pine trees which were the sole survivors on the island.

Perhaps the most fit are really dandelions, because no matter how many we tear up and burn and apply herbicide to and feed to our donkeys and goats, there are always more of them next year. Although, I suppose the same can be said of humans.


But if we're just doing what comes naturally, how bad can it possibly be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment