Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Stars in your Eyelids

Someone once told me I had a universe inside of me.

The logic was simple: all one has to do is rub one’s eyes and, voila, a universe appears behind one’s eyelids.

I guess this is supposed to make me feel important.

Unfortunately, even if there is a universe inside of me, it doesn’t mean the inhabitants of the universe like me. They could be imaginary, which means they could feel toward me whatever I wanted them to, but getting involved in imaginary friendships is socially unacceptable in the public life of a 22 year old.

As Wait but Why pointed out concerning how to be insufferable on Facebook, most people have about 10 to 15 people who love them. Lucky ones perhaps push 30. By this, we’re talking seriously care about what you’re eating for lunch type people. Most of the universe doesn’t care that much about you.

It has been a longstanding opinion of mine that we can only have up to 5 favorite things. After that, any additional things either push away the ones we had previously loved, or the new things are themselves neglected. This works with children’s toys, as no matter how many toys a child has, they generally have 1-5 favorites, and they become frustrated when they want to have more favorites, but there isn’t enough room, so one gets forgotten. This works with pets. I lived on a farm with 200 goats. I liked them all, but there were 3 that were my favorites. I kept trying to add more to my favorites list, but all that happened is I replaced an old favorite for a new one.

It’s difficult to have more than 5 really good friends too. Not impossible, but one simply runs out of time to devote to more favorites than this. So one has many shallow friendships. That’s fine. It simply means that just because I’m on your Facebook friends list, doesn’t mean we talk much.

But then you post something like “I would stay up all night to talk a friend out of suicide.” Well, isn’t that a beautiful sentiment. It’s like saying, “I want you to interrupt my sleep so that I can work my magic and reassure you that you’re loved so you won’t want to leave this dirty world tonight.”

I’m not upset with you for posting this, but you do realize that if you had stayed up all night talking about homework, dating, family stuff, movies, or any of the mundane things that go on in life sometimes, maybe I wouldn’t be on the verge of believing that no one cares about my life? I’m not going to call you, mysterious Facebook poster, because if you didn’t care about my life before it mattered, then you don’t really believe that my life matters.

You see, when I’m about to commit suicide and I’m going through my phone wondering if I should call someone, the first person my cursor stops on is the one who went with me at midnight to get pizza for no reason. The next is the person who picked me up when the bus was late and it was raining. The next is the person who offered to buy me lunch for no reason. Finally, there’s the one who surprised me with a thinking of you card. You, Facebook poster, I consider briefly, but I doubt you’d want to be bothered at 3AM. You’ve never answered me when I’ve called at noon…

If you were living in my imaginary universe, I would put you on a planet with the people you actually stay up late chatting with, because they need you.


I would also get myself a full-time massage therapist who charges nothing, because, heck, this is my universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment